Reading is one of my all-time favorite hobbies. After spending time with family, friends, and my dog, it is probably my favorite thing to do. Recently, I’ve been reading some great books and it has been very rejuvenating. Here are some titles I’ve been enjoying lately:
- You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle. I’m reading this one right now, and I have actually been laughing out loud while reading it. It is about a young, engaged couple who realize they may not be happy with each other after all, and so this book documents their fights and their soul-searching to see if they are still compatible. I am about 2/3 of the way done and am still not sure how it will end, but it has been such an enjoyable, lighthearted read.
- Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano. This book was heart-breaking, but in a good way. It is the coming of age story of a young boy, Edward, who is the sole survivor of a plane crash that killed his only sibling, as well as both of his parents. It was gut-wrenching, but very moving, too, as Edward figures out how to grow up – which is challenging enough under normal circumstances – without his brother and parents.
- How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. This book was also very good, and it was very educational. I learned a lot about the history of racism in the US and worldwide, as well as existing racial disparities and ways that I can try to help fix them. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who’s interested in learning about those topics.
- The River by Peter Heller. This book was one of the most well-written novels I have read in a long time. The pictures that Heller paints throughout were so vivid that it felt like I was traveling on the river in the Canadian wilderness with the two main characters.
- The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager. This book was also very interesting, but I have read the other three books written by Sager and this was my least favorite. My favorites by him were Home Before Dark and Lock Every Door. I would give The Last Time I Lied a 4/5 rating, and would still recommend it to those who like psychological thrillers.
Have you been reading anything good lately? Let me know if so! I’m always searching for new book recommendations to add to my list.